You may make some new acquaintances this New Year who could benefit from what you and your company have to offer.
Unless you can tell them what you do in a clear, concise and compelling manner, these opportunities could end up going nowhere. Here are 5 tips for how to answer the age old question “What do you do?”
1. Talk results – Focus on what the customer gets – the outcome – not on what you do.
2. Keep it short and simple – One to two sentences is all you need to show you are a specialist in your market.
3. ID your target – Spell out whom exactly you are best suited to work with.
4. Keep it conversational – Use words that you would use in everyday conversation. Don’t use acronyms or industry jargon.
5. Think repeatability – You should be able to say your elevator speech over and over again easily. If you can say it easily, people will be able to easily repeat it.
You may not come up with the perfect answer the first time, however, with practice and feedback from trusted advisors around you, you can create an answer that helps tell your story and increase your connections.