Almost every business person knows the Pareto Principle. But when it comes to social media, the 80/20 rule is really a 20/80 school.
Talk about your business 20 percent of the time—with meaningful communication that specifically promotes your business, products or services. But beware, too much self-promotion will flunk you out of your social media school. Engage followers by talking about things other than your business 80 percent of the time.
Here are six guidelines that will teach you the 20/80 rule.
- Make posts that educate and inform.
- Appeal to emotions, but stay relevant.
- Share interesting articles that fit your brand and appeal to your audience.
- Share interviews with customers or employees.
- Share images, facts, and info about your local area.
- Ask open-ended questions to encourage conversation.
Track your most engaged followers and take good care of them. Offer things like sneak peeks, special offers and exclusive flash sales, and in turn, they’ll create a flurry of activity around your business. In the social media world, the 80/20 rule is really the 20/80 school.